Symphony is $6.2M short
But it surpasses target stipulated in county’s grant
By Deborah Martin, STAFF WRITER, San Antonio Express-News
March 24, 2018
With about three months left in the season, the San Antonio Symphony has raised almost $1.4 million, $6.2 million shy of the $7.6 million that’s needed to fully fund it.
The current season was briefly scrapped when a plan for the newly formed Symphonic Music for San Antonio to take over management collapsed in December. The season was revived following an outpouring of support from the community, which now includes a $350,000 challenge grant put forth by Bexar County Commissioners Court in January, which the symphony more than matched, $368,400 from the city and more in private donations.
Kathleen Weir Vale, chairwoman of the symphony’s board, announced the results of the challenge grant at the start of Friday’s concert at the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts.
The audience responded with enthusiastic applause.
Vale said County Commissioner Paul Elizondo, standing next to her on the Tobin Center stage, Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff and the rest of Commissioners Court, were “the definition of leadership.”
Elizondo told the audience that the Tobin Center had been built as part of a county program primarily with the symphony in mind.
“We came from the ashes. We had no money.”
Kathleen Weir Vale, chairwoman of the San Antonio Symphony’s board
“It’s an excellent symphony,” Elizondo said, adding that symphony leaders will be reaching out to donors and businesses for further support.
Vale is confident that the symphony will be able to raise enough to cover costs for the remainder of the season and will end the fiscal year with a balanced budget, she said in an interview Friday morning, but that’s going to take a lot of effort.
And plenty of work needs to be done to put the symphony on stronger footing going forward.
“There is a tremendous amount of work to do,” she said. “We came from the ashes. We had no money.”
After this weekend’s performances of Vivaldi’s “The Four Seasons” featuring noted violinist Nadja Solerno-Sonnenberg, five programs remain in the season. In addition, the symphony will play for Opera San Antonio’s staging of “La Boheme” at the Tobin Center in May.
As money is raised and music is rehearsed for the rest of the 2017-18 season, plans for next season are being made as well as fundraising efforts for it. Programs have been selected for next season, Vale said, and will be announced next month.
Read the complete story go to the San Antonio Express-News: